Pages

Comcast vs. Centurylink - Internet Reliability

About 6 months ago I switched my home phone and Internet service from Centurylink to Comcast.   I was completely happy with my Centurylink service before switching.  In fact, for the 4 years that I had Centurylink service I did not have any issues with the reliability of the phone or Internet.  I switched to Comcast purely for the price and the bundle offered with Comcast.  

After switching to Comcast I had a few start up issues that were mainly infrastructure problems with my home.  Comcast sent a technician out and he got things squared away and I was up and running.  The first thing I noticed was the increase in speed.  I was completely satisfied with my decision.

After about 1 month I started to have reliability problems.  First the phone would not work.  I called Comcast India, India the country, and they told me to unplug the modem for 10 minutes and see if that would reset everything.  It worked.  The problem was this started happening every 7 to 10 days.  It might be the phone or it might be the Internet.  I would shut everything down and let it reset and things would be back to normal.  Then after a few months that wouldn't fix the problem anymore.  I would have to call Comcast India and they would ping my modem, rest passwords, run tests, etc.  This process would get me back up and running but only temporarily. 

With a daughter in College the reliability of my Internet connection is important.   After months of fighting the reliability issue I called Comcast and demanded that they come to my home and figure things out.  After a lot of testing by the Comcast technician he couldn't find any problems with access, cable ot modem.  I demanded that he swap the modem and he did, although he speculated that the modem was not the problem.  It has been 4 weeks and we have not had any problems.  Maybe it was a bad modem?  I don't know.  I will monitor things closely and if I have additional problems, I will post another blog entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's hear what you think.